There are two types of membership in the AMEA – Regular Members and Associate Members. Regular members are individuals who are employed by firms belonging to the Machinery Dealers National Association (MDNA). Associate members are individuals who are employed by firms that do not qualify for membership in the MDNA. Once an applicant has been approved for membership in the AMEA, he or she will earn a designation of either Accredited Equipment Appraiser (AEA) or Certified Equipment Appraiser (CEA).
Requirements applicable to all applicants:
- Applicants must be individuals. Company applications will not be accepted.
- Applicants agree to conform in all respects to the AMEA Code of Ethics, the AMEA Standards and Procedures Of Professional Appraisal Ethics and Practice , and the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
- Applicants (and members) agree that the use of the name “Association of Machinery and Equipment Appraisers (AMEA)” and the logo(s) may only be used by firms who are MDNA members and AMEA accredited or certified appraisers on staff as full-time employees. Individuals may only use the name and/or logo(s) on personal stationery or cards while they are AMEA members in good standing. Individuals or firms may NOT lend the use of the AMEA name or logo.
- Applicants must:
a. Fulfill all financial obligations to gain membership;
b. Complete a membership application;
c. Pass the written examination on the AMEA Code of Ethics;
d. Present a completed, unidentifiable appraisal that complies with the Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice and USPAP;
e. Be approved by the AMEA Board of Directors
Regular Member Applicants
(Those employed by MDNA member firms):
Accredited Equipment Appraiser (AEA) Status:
AEA applicants must fulfill all basic membership requirements, have been involved in the buying, selling, and/or appraising of used machinery and equipment in the marketplace for the last three (3) consecutive years, and must continue to be involved in the buying, selling and/or appraising of used machinery and equipment in the marketplace.
Certified Equipment Appraiser (CEA) status:
CEA applicants must fulfill all basic membership requirements, meet AEA status, have current USPAP coursework and testing, and a minimum of five (5) years experience.
Associate Member Applicants
(Those not employed by an MDNA member firm):
Associate member applicants must fulfill all basic membership requirements, have current USPAP coursework and testing, and have been involved in the buying and selling of capital goods for no less than five (5) years, as well as:
- not be associated with or employed by a firm eligible for MDNA membership.
- not be associated with a firm who has ever been rejected by MDNA for membership or expelled from MDNA or whose principals have been expelled from or rejected by MDNA.
- not be or have been the principal of a firm who has resigned from MDNA within the last three years.
- participate in an interview with an AMEA Board of Directors’ representative.
Those completing all of the necessary requirements for Associate Membership earn the Certificate Equipment Appraiser (CEA) designation.
Once becoming a member of the AMEA, ALL members must complete the following requirements to retain their AEA or CEA designation:
- Obtain 70 hours of continuing education credits every five (5) years.
- Have one (1) Appraisal reviewed and approved by the AMEA Review Committee every two (2) years.
- Continue to be a member in good standing of the AMEA .
- Comply with all Standards and Ethics set by the Ethics, Standards, and Review Committee.
- Continued involvement in buying, selling, and/or appraising of used machinery and equipment in the marketplace.
- Continued CEA status requires current USPAP coursework and testing as specified by USPAP with appropriate renewals.